We hear a lot these days about how we are an image-driven society. Selfies on Facebook, pins on Pinterest, YouTube videos. There’s no question that visuals have attraction. And yes, a picture can be worth more than a thousand words in its ability to imprint an image on the mind. But let’s flip this for a moment. Go counter to current conventional wisdom. What about the power of words to ignite the imagination and stir the heart?
- “Government of the people, for the people, by the people shall not perish from the earth.” —Abraham Lincoln
- “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” —John F Kennedy
- “I have a dream…” —Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “E = MC2” —Albert Einstein
- “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” —Mother Teresa
- “You can imprison a man, but not an idea. You can exile a man, but not an idea. You can kill a man, but not an idea.” —Benazir Bhutto
Words can sink deep into the psyche and when they do, they change the course of history by stirring women and men to action. They inspire courage when all around seems hopeless. They paint a vision of what could be. They remind us of what is important and what should be sacrificed for.
Likewise, in business, words can change the playing field by framing an idea.
- The world is flat.
- Seven Habits of…
- From Good to Great.
- Lean in.
- Start with Why.
And you have access to this power, to the power of words, as you market your business. It is the words of your story and the ideas you communicate that ultimately determine how well you connect in the market. Because words carry your clarion call to action and catapult your brand out of the clutter.
- “Just Do It.”
- “When You Care Enough to Send the Very Best.”
- “Finger Lickin’ Good.”
- “Melts In Your Mouth, Not In Your Hand.”
- “The World On Time.”
- “Zoom Zoom.”
- “Think Different.”
What will you ignite in the minds of your customers about you? Sure, show some pictures—especially since they are now part of your searchable content by Google and contribute to your SEO strength—but don’t forget to capture some places in the heart, then go deep into the soul, through the power of words. That’s not just searchable, it will get people talking then returning to your brand.
If you feel you need some word work, consider getting in touch with our wordsmithing team.